Tuesday, February 9, 2016

"People are strange when you're a stranger"- Jim Morrison The Doors



I feel as we get older the less patience we have for people because you know, we work and stuff so we build this ideal person in our heads and that is what we will associate with. It's like "if people don't like the same music, TV shows, etc. I don't have time for them because I will actually have to get to know them and not be able talk about the same TV shows, music etc. over and over and freaking over again." the thinking being the people on the outside of our box do not fit our criteria, therefor are foreign bodies and the extent of our socialization should just be in the form of exchanging niceties. Some people may be happy with that, but from my experience, when I stepped outside of that box and actually made an effort to get to know that person I was usually pleasantly surprised and they weren't so strange or foreign anymore. If I kept myself inside of that box I would not have learned as much as I have, and met the awesome people (even if they are not in my life anymore you are still a memory) that I have met over the years.

*Side tidbit that seems to have to do something with this post (well in my head it does) but probably doesn't:


I was in the shower the other day (which just happens to be the place where I do my best thinking) and I was going through my school years a thinking about the friends that I had during that time. I was the person who talked to everyone. I had friends in band, cheer leading, and football. As well as friends who took school way to seriously and friends that well...didn't. I didn't have and abundance of friends but the people who I chose to spend my time with were on completely different parts of the school click spectrum and to each other (as far as school clicks go) they probably viewed each other as strange (especially if you were walking around in a pink shirt wearing black lipstick...oh wait that was me) but by getting to know me and them getting to know each other I had a neat group of friends who made school and life  FUN. Those people made it so easy to be comfortable with who I am because each person complimented a part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment