Sunday, February 7, 2016

"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." -Linus

Mr. Schulz had it right. In my everyday life there are only a few people that I like. I like a few of my co-workers as well as neighbors. I still keep in touch with a couple of people I went to school with and from time to time we hang out. Lately though, most people I want to punch in the temple. I cannot stand people who think they deserve something from nothing. I cannot stand people who think that they are better than anyone else. I cannot stand people who constantly complain about money. I cannot stand people who gossip about others but don't have the parts to say it to the persons face. I know at least one person that one of the latter sentences pertain to and sometimes I do those things which I cannot stand. I look at these individuals sometimes (and myself) and just want to bang my head against any intimate object. When I feel like this I stop and look at something positive. The last thing that I remember seeing that brought me great hope was a guy out on his boat floating along, and then you see him pull something out of the water. It was a Syrian refugee baby and I felt so grateful and happy that this poor baby was saved especially since it was around a time where there was so much hate (especially in the US) toward the refugees, and still is (again, especially in the US). In the video the guy did not hesitate. He saw a human being in need and just helped. There was no prejudice...just a person helping another person. That man helped me remember that there are good people out there still. 

Another example would be Hurricane Sandy. Living in NJ I have been on the outskirts of many hurricanes. I would look forward to the storms, and usually it was just a little bit of wind, thunder and lightning. Sandy was full on destroy and kill. Years later people are still recovering on the coast. It was a devastation that we were not prepared for. The first few days were pretty bad. Most didn't have power. Stores were closed and we could not get off my block because there were down power lines (still live) on either end of my street. We were stuck. I remember neighbors coming to make sure others were OK. People had to cook what was in their freezer and couldn't keep it so we would give it to each other. People were donating time, clothes, and even their homes to people all over. I have never been more proud of my little town as well as my state before that time. It made me remember the feeling that comes with helping others as well as reminding me again that there are still good people out there. If we think of those good people as a whole it is a lot easier to forget the individual a-holes even if they are a constant in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment